Land and water conservation is one of the few investments that can last forever. By planning a gift to Aspen Valley Land Trust, you will help ensure the protected open lands, wildlife habitat, clean water, and local agriculture that is here today, will be here for future generations.By supporting conservation by planning a gift, your legacy can help protect these special places and the benefits they provide for all life, both human and wild, forever.
THE PLACES YOU LOVE ARE CHANGING While their value is unrivaled, open lands are under severe threat and face an uncertain future. In uncertain times it is important to protect and sustain what you value most. Population growth, sprawling development, threats to clean water, diminishing wildlife habitat, growing disconnection between children and nature, and rapidly changing community needs risk the health, character, and quality of life for all who enjoys these valleys.
HELP PROTECT LAND, FOREVER With your support, AVLT conserves wildlife habitat, rivers, wetlands, working farms and ranches, parks and trails, and the scenic open lands that make Western Colorado so special. We also provide opportunities for all communities and the next generation of land stewards to connect with nature, local agriculture, and one another. As a community-supported land trust since 1967, AVLT has helped conserve almost 70 square miles of land in Western Colorado, only possible because of the generosity of people like you. This is only the beginning. With your planned gift AVLT can continue to protect the water, wildlife, and rural landscapes that make Western Colorado so wonderful.
GIFT PLANNING IS FOR EVERYONE! Leaving a conservation legacy is one of the easiest ways for anyone to make a meaningful and lasting impact. Land conservation helps ensure the special places you help save today will be protected forever and your legacy gift is vital to this important work. There is no better way to make a difference for local land and water conservation than to consider your legacy.
"What better thing to do than conserve land? Nobody is tearing up blacktop and planting wheat."
- Dr. Raymond & Judy Schoonmaker, Kinstead Ranch
How you can plan a gift
Your estate planning requires thoughtful discussions with help from attorneys and financial advisors. Because legal language for a bequest can vary from state to state, it is always best to use an attorney that has a good understanding of the local laws.
If you are interested in learning more about AVLT and how to make a planned gift, please contact Jeff Davlyn at email@example.com or (970) 456-3560.
1. Wills or Trusts Creating a will or living trust is a great way to provide for loved ones, plan your estate management, and ensure a lasting legacy. Gifts can be easy to arrange and can be changed at any time, giving you flexibility. Estate planning can provide peace of mind – knowing that your property and assets will be put to beneficial use when you no longer need them, but your cash flow will not be affected.
2. Retirement Accounts and Pension Plans AVLT receives 100% of transferred retirement account funds at no tax cost. When left to a child or heir, estate and income taxes can reduce their benefit by 70-80%.
3. Life Insurance When AVLT is named as owner and beneficiary of an existing or new life insurance policy, you receive a tax deduction for the approximate cash surrender value. Or you can simply add AVLT as a beneficiary to a policy and retain ownership and rights to change the beneficiaries. However, in this case you would receive no income tax deduction.
4. Charitable Remainder Trusts Charitable remainder trusts can include cash, appreciated stock, real estate or other property. Payouts are then based upon a fixed percentage of the trust assets valued annually.
5. Real Estate Gifts of long term appreciated real estate can offer doubled tax benefits including an income tax deduction and capital gains avoidance. It is possible to deed property installments in order to take full advantage of tax savings without exceeding charitable deduction limits.
Aspen Valley Land Trust is dedicated to protecting land forever in the Roaring Fork and Colorado River valleys. For 55 years, AVLT has been a trusted community-supported conservation partner helping to ensure the natural and community health of our region.